Fatherhood is often distilled down to a single image—tossing a baseball in the backyard with your dad or working on a weekend car restoration with your grandfather. But everyone knows that your dad—or any father figure in your life— encompasses so much more than any singular moment.
Fathers impart wisdom, share hobbies, and pick us up when we stumble—and maybe, once in a while, they help with taxes (Dad, does my cat count as a dependent?). Most importantly, fathers are there for you through thick and thin.
Father’s Day is the perfect opportunity to reach out to your father figure and let him know how much he means to you. Whether your pop is a master of bad dad jokes, a serious chef, a local sports coach, or in a rock ‘n’ roll band, we’re here to help you find the right Father’s Day card—and compose a heartfelt message to celebrate him and all of his lovable qualities.
How do you wish someone a Happy Father’s Day?
Your dad has done so much for you over the years: given advice, made you laugh, swung you around like an airplane. So, how do you help him feel appreciated this year?
To start, choose a lovingly crafted Father’s Day card that’s worthy of your dad. Whether it’s heartfelt, serious, or funny, he’ll appreciate a card that shows him how well you know him—and lets him know you’re thinking about him.
Browse beautifully composed Father’s Day cards from the comfort of your own home—no need to spend an afternoon in the card aisle at your local grocery or stationery store. When you find one that’s just right, you can schedule your Father’s Day card ahead of time, or send an online card the day of the holiday (the third Sunday in June). Online Father’s Day cards mean you’ll never be late with your heartfelt message—and you won’t have to rummage through the drawers in your house in search of a stamp!
What should you write inside a Father’s Day card?
Once you’ve chosen the perfect card, you can let it speak for itself and simply sign your name—or personalize it with a heartfelt message. If you’re not sure what to say, here are some prompts to spark your creativity.
- Pick a happy memory you two share and write about it. How do you remember that moment? What does it mean to you?
- What is the funniest thing your dad has ever said? Do you have a favorite moment or inside joke that makes you laugh just thinking about it?
- Is there a place you associate with your dad? Write about it in detail.
- Describe one thing you try to emulate about your dad. What makes him a great dad? Why?
- What is the most useful thing your dad has ever taught you? Write about how you use this skill or piece of advice in everyday life.
- If you are a parent yourself, how has your relationship with your father framed your approach to parenthood today?
- What is your favorite meal you’ve shared together? Why?
- Do you watch a favorite movie or TV show together? Describe the best part.
- What is a favorite family tradition you share?
- Why is your dad important to you?
For a personal message that conveys the sentiment you want to express, check out the stellar card-writing tips below—you’ll find meaningful Father’s Day messages for every dad and father figure.
Simple Father’s Day messages to express your love
Whether you’re celebrating your dad or an important father figure in your life, there’s one core message that should shine through in your Father’s Day wishes: love. But love is different for everyone, and it can come in many forms and phrases.
Pick a special message that you know will resonate between the two of you—hit on an inside joke, offer a heartfelt thank you, or just remind him he’s in your thoughts. Even “ily” works, if that’s your style.
Here are some ways to express love in your Father’s Day card this year:
- Thank you for always being there. Message: I knew I could always count on your love and support. Know that I’ve always appreciated everything you’ve done for our family.
- You’re the best dad. Message: On this day and every day, we love you for everything you are.
- Thinking of you today. Message: Dad, you’re in my thoughts as I apply all of the life lessons you taught over the years. I strive to be a better person because of you.
- Happy Father’s Day. Message: I hope you enjoy a colorful day full of fun, rest, and relaxation. Cheers to you, Dad!
- Thanks for being a fantastic dad. Message: I don’t know where I’d be without your loving advice and guidance.
- Sending love from afar. Message: We don’t get to spend as much time together anymore, but know that I’m always thinking of you. I’ll be sure to visit again soon.
Father’s Day messages to a husband or partner
Extending love and gratitude to your better half—the father of your child—hits the fatherly heartstrings in a different way. Some meaningful messages include:
- You are such a catch. Message: There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t thank my lucky stars for reeling you in all those years ago.
- To the hottest dad around. Message: I don’t need the hot firefighter calendar, because I’ve got the hottest scorcher right here. Love you, hun.
- Seeing you as a dad makes my heart happy. Message: You’ve always been an amazing life partner, and I’ve loved watching you be such an incredible father to our children. You’re the best, and I love you.
- Dad to the bone. Message: Just because you spend these days changing diapers and playing with blocks doesn’t make you any less of the bad boy I fell in love with all those years ago.
Father’s Day messages from a daughter
There’s something special about the father-daughter relationship. Here are some Father’s Day messages from a daughter that capture the special bond the two of you share.
- Dad, nothing can hold a kindle to you. Message: I will always treasure our family camping trips in the woods, even if your dad jokes were a little campy sometimes.
- Happy Father’s Day to a fashion icon. Message: No one rocks cargo shorts, knee-high socks, and lawnmower shoes quite like you do.
- The original hipster. Message: Don’t let anyone tell you that your dad style is kind of cheugy. You set the trends—they don’t set you.
- I am who I am today because of you. Message: All jokes aside, you truly have shaped me into the person I am today, and I will always be grateful for your love, protection, and guidance.
- Daddy Bear. Message: Thank you, Papa Bear, for being such a great dad. Your little cub may have left the den, but you will never leave my heart.
Father’s Day messages to a son
You did the best job you could raising him, and now your son is raising a family of his own. Connect on a whole other level as he comes to realize that you see him as a father now. Share these Father’s Day messages with your son to let him know you’re still there for him.
- Beer. Message: Son, maybe now you know why I always wanted to crack open a cold one and relax in my favorite recliner. Let’s catch up over a pint or three.
- Like father, like son. Message: You’re your own man now. I hope I raised you right so that you can raise your own beautiful family now.
- Classic roadsters. Message: Remember when you used to hang out with me in the garage, tinkering around with my sporty little number? Enjoy those kinds of moments with your kids now, and years from now, they’ll treasure them just as much as you do.
- You are the King of Dads. Message: That’s right, son. Your old man is ready to pass the crown on to you. The castle is yours now.
- By Par. Message: May you learn as much from your kids as you’ve taught me about love and patience over the years.
Father’s Day messages to a new dad
One of the biggest life-changing events anyone will experience is becoming a parent. New dads may feel overwhelmed and overtired, but they tackle fatherhood as best they can. Give them a boost of confidence and let them know how great they’re doing. Offer heartfelt Father’s Day messages to a new dad, including:
- Daddy’s cat nap. Message: They warned you that fatherhood can take a lot out of you, right? Remember to sleep when the baby sleeps, even if it’s just a couple of winks on the couch.
- You’re crushing it. Message: If there was ever an award for the world’s best dad, you’d definitely be number one. You make being a new dad look easy.
- You’re an amazing parent. Message: You’ve only been a dad for a very short while, but it looks like you’ve been doing it for a lifetime. Way to go, new dad!
- New dad starter pack. Message: Here’s everything you need for the next phase in your life. Those stretchy sweats will make you question why you ever bothered wearing pants and belts to begin with.
Father’s Day messages to your grandpa
If there’s one person you don’t want to forget on Father’s Day, it’s your grandfather. He may be from a different time, but the work he’s put into building a family is timeless. Paternal or maternal, nearby or far away, biological or in spirit, your grandpa is responsible for raising the generation before you—and if you’re lucky, helping to raise your generation, too. Nobody can offer stories, sound advice, and time-tested recipes like Grandpa can.
Send a card to say “Happy Father’s Day, Grandpa!” to celebrate all of the cherished moments you’ve spent together —and make your grandad’s day.
- You’re an awesome grandpa. Message: I love spending time with you and listening to all your life stories. I have so much more to learn from you!
- Grandfathers are men of many hats. Message: From teaching Mom how to garden to showing me how to change the oil in my car, is there anything you don’t know how to do?
- Happy Father’s Day, grandpa! Message: We all love and appreciate you very much. I hope you have a wonderful day full of all your favorite things.
- Best grandpa in the world. Message: Thank you, Pop Pop, for being the absolute best granddad any kid could ask for. We’re so lucky to have you.
- Grandpa, you’re the best thing since sliced bread. Message: And that’s saying a lot, since making your awesome grilled cheese sandwich with a loaf of unsliced bread would be pretty tough.
Funny Father’s Day messages
What do you and your dad bond over? If the answer includes pranks, comedy, and corny jokes, these messages are for you. Maybe your dad relished making cringeworthy cracks around you and your friends—now that you’re older, throw one right back at him with a laugh-out-loud one-liner. Funny Father’s Day messages are the perfect way to commemorate your hilarious Pops.
Catch him off-guard with dad jokes of your own—make him laugh before bringing him to tears with one of these heartfelt messages written on the flip-side.
- Love you and your dad jokes. Message: Some people might find them pun-ishingly bad, but I think their humor is obviously a-parent.
- Nacho Average dad. Message: Yes, you can be cheesy sometimes, but that’s why we love you. No one can top you, Dad!
- Dad of all trades. Message: We’re not always sure what you’re doing in that workshop of yours, but we know you’re building (or fixing) something terrific. We can’t wait to see what you come up with next.
- Dad, you kick ass! Message: Even when your voice is a little ‘horse,’ you always kick it up a notch when it comes to your fatherhood skills.
- Olive you more than cocktail hour. Message: Let me raise a virtual glass to you, dad, and toast to your awesomeness. Shaken, not stirred.
- Dad, love you lox. Message: You taught me how to order the perfect bagel, and that’s why I love you so much.
- Dad, you totally nailed it. Message: Of course, I already knew you wood—no one can pin you down.
- Dad, you rock. Message: I know I can always rely on you to keep me grounded. That’s the stuff of super solid foundations.
- To the biggest goofball we know. Message: Who needs baseball, basketball, or football when we’ve got you as our resident goofball bouncing about?
- Love ya dad. But we don’t have to taco ‘bout it. Message: You’ve always been the strong, silent type—but actions speak louder than words, and your actions speak volumes about the wonderful kind of dad you are.
Inspirational Father’s Day messages
Who do we look up to—figuratively and literally—in childhood? Before teachers, community leaders, and other role models come into our lives, it’s dad. And it’s not just the height difference that makes him seem so courageous and larger than life. He’s the one who says yes when mom says no, the one who stands up for others in need, the one who pushes you out of your comfort zone to be your very best self.
These inspirational Father’s Day messages will let him know how you’ve grown into a wonderful person because of his positive impact on you. You may see your dad as almost superhuman, but the truth is, he’s the one that taught you to be human, above all.
- You’re my hero. Message: I know I can always turn to you for the insightful advice I need to make it through life. Thanks, Dad. Not all heroes wear capes.
- Dad, you are the port in a storm. Message: Whenever I feel like I’m lost at sea, you are always my lighthouse to guide me home. Thank you.
- To my noble father. Message: You’ve always taught me to do the right thing, especially when it’s not the easiest thing to do. That’s why to me, you are a king amongst men.
- No one could ever fill your shoes. Message: Nor could we ever walk a mile in your shoes. Thank you for taking all those steps and holding my hand along the way.
- One leg at a time. Message: Thanks for the dad-vice you’ve dished out throughout the years. Know that we “sea” everything you do.
- #1 Dad. Message: Stand tall and proud at the top of the podium, Dad—you’ve earned it. (Bonus points for including an old picture of you and your dad.)
Father’s Day cards for the animal lover
Whether they’re adopting the new family pet or birdwatching in the woods, some dads love connecting with furry, feathered, or even scaled friends. The animals in these Father’s Day cards—from dog to bird to bear—are sure to bring out the warm and fuzzy side of your pop.
- Jungle PaPa. Message:You’ve always been a dad of a different stripe, never following other people’s patterns. That’s why you’re king of the jungle.
- Bear and baby. Message: Thank you, Papa Bear, for keeping me safe and supported all these years. May your porridge never be too hot again.
- Hello Mr. Fox. Message: You’re a clever one, Dad. It’s about time you got a Father’s Day card that recognizes your crafty wisdom.
- Dad, you built a great nest! Message: I know that sometimes you just have to wing it and branch out—but I’ve always felt right at home in your loving embrace.
- Go fish! Message: No matter what you’re angling, there’s no need to fish for compliments today. This isn’t just some line—it’s reel love for you, pops.
Father’s Day cards for the master chef
We all know dads out there who are not only the best at barbeque—they’re a whiz in any kitchen. From perfect rare steaks to three-layer cakes, these father figures are dedicated to food—and even more dedicated to sharing it with you.
Thank your dad for the kitchen tutorials, the secret trips for after-school donuts, and all of the tasty meals you’ve shared together.
- Treat yourself to something sweet today. Message: No hole in this argument, because we know you donut give up on anything.
- Cheers to you, Dad! Message: Whether it’s a double bourbon on the rocks or a pale ale from your favorite microbrewery, grab a drink—today is the day to celebrate you.
- Happy Father’s Day from your favorite brat. Message: Despite all your grilling, I love you very much. We’ll be forever linked, and I’m not just blowing smoke!
- A dad like you is rare. Message: In the game of life and everything it means to be a father, you know exactly what’s at steak. No need to grill you about it!
- Treat yourself. Message: Think of today as a cheat day—go ahead and eat whatever you want, because Father’s Day calories don’t count.
A sporty Father’s Day message
This one needs little explanation. These cards and messages are for the football fanatics and soccer coaches, the basketball stars and golf masters. If they weren’t running track alongside you, they were at your swim meets, yelling their heads off in the bleachers so loud you could hear them underwater. In the moment, you were a little embarrassed, but in retrospect, you’ll always love him for being there. He really is the coolest dad.
- Best dad by par. Message: You carted us kids around everywhere, from soccer practice to ballet recital, and we always had a ball. Thank you, Dad.
- Have a tee-rific Father’s Day. Message: Enjoy a day out on the course with the boys. You deserve it.
- You are peak dad! Message: There’s no mountain you wouldn’t climb for your family. When it comes to fathers, you’re tops.
- Number one dad. Message: I don’t have an actual trophy for you, but I’m sure you’d win the gold medal in any fathering event in the parenting Olympics.
- World’s greatest dad. Message: You’re not just putt-putting along in fatherhood. Every day spent with you is an absolute slice, in the best way possible.
Virtual Father’s Day cards for virtually every father
Maybe you and your dad text back and forth all day—emojis and all—or you catch up once in a blue moon over cocktails. Every relationship with a father figure is special, unique, and worth celebrating.
Sending a personalized Father’s Day card is the perfect way to make him feel appreciated. Every card comes with the option to include a personalized message or add a photo (or a photo collage.) Whether your card and message are funny or full of tender nostalgia, it’s the sentiment that counts.
Paperless Post offers timely—and timeless—online Father’s Day cards to send an everlasting reminder of your appreciation.
Sons and daughters, spouses and in-laws, and good friends—take the time to show appreciation for the fathers in your life.
Cheers to you, dads!