Any day is a good day to tell your mom what she means to you. With Mother’s Day approaching and the craziness of the past year, we’re thinking about our moms a lot right now. Whether you and mama text constantly or only speak occasionally. Mother’s Day is a special day to acknowledge your mother figures and make them feel special. This year is exceptionally sentimental, as many of us haven’t been able to see our moms as much as we’d like.
Near or far, sweet or silly, there are plenty of Mother’s Day card messages to choose from in our large greeting card assortment. A Mother’s Day e-card is a simple, affordable way to send mom a little something that puts a smile on her face. (We suggest picking up the phone or hopping on a Zoom call, too.)
Things to write in a Mother’s Day card
It’s important to be sincere in your Mother’s Day message. Speak from the heart (or choose a creative Happy Mother’s Day greeting that does!), even if you also inject a little humor. Virtual Mother’s Day cards aren’t just for moms, either. There are so many wonderful nurturers in our lives —from nannies, grandmas, aunties, stepmoms, dog moms, and sisters. Our diverse selection of Mother’s Day greeting cards lets you easily (and safely) show love to all the impactful caregivers in your life, as well as the ones you see showing love for their own babies or fur babies.
When it comes to when you should send a Mother’s Day card, you can easily send e-cards the day-of. Or, you can schedule your Mother’s Day e-cards ahead of time to ensure you don’t forget when the day arrives (your future self will thank you).
Covid Mother’s Day cards
This year of social distancing has been challenging for everyone. It has been especially tough for those who have had to be apart from their moms for long periods of time because of Covid. Make Zoom plans with virtual Mother’s Day ideas and then take the time to tell your amazing mother (or any mother-figure in your life) just how grateful you are for them with Covid Mother’s Day cards.
Happy Mothers Day message
Sending Hearts by Linda and Harriett and Root for Me by Hello!Lucky
These virtual Mother’s Day card ideas are gracious, uplifting, and let Mom know she’s loved. Many work as a Mother’s Day message from daughter. If your dear mom works hard, encourage her to treat herself to something that makes her happy or feel relaxed. As your biggest cheerleader, let her know how much you value her support. If she’s the role model in your life, thank her for all she’s taught you and for leading by example. From serious sentiments to more conversational cards, all of these options come with sincere love and gratitude. Add a personal touch to any of these Mother’s day wishes with your own note.
Funny Mother’s Day messages
Don’t Get Used To It by Paperless Post
Your amazing mom may love a humorous opening message to your Mother’s Day greeting, but we also think funny Mother’s Day cards are perfect for your friends who are in the motherhood club. You and your friends look to each other for support, including being there for each other as moms. Give your friends a little laugh and virtual high-five for being amazing and making things work every day. Funny Mother’s day cards can come in the form of wordplay or puns, sarcasm, or a little wink and a clink of wine glasses.
16. Chill and refill
Mother’s Day messages for a new mom
The Fanny Pack by Paperless Post
New motherhood comes with a flood of different emotions while trying to be the perfect mother, but it’s also an entry into the ultimate club. Give a nod to the new moms in your life and let her know she is a great mother, an inspirational mother, you’re proud of her, happy for her, and here to show your support. And don’t forget the moms-to-be. From their first baby shower to their first Mother’s Day, they will certainly appreciate that you’re thinking of them.
Mother’s Day messages for your wife
Mama Leopard by Hello!Lucky
You know your partner or children’s mother is the queen, so why not use this day as a time to remind her? Whether she’s a stepmom, new mom, or just a really great mom, let your wife know how much she inspires and impresses you by being the mother figure she is.
Mother’s Day messages for Grandma
Basket of Blooms by Emily Isabella for Red Cap Cards by Hello!Lucky
Before there was your mother, there was your grandmother. The role of a grandma is extraordinary and not to be left out on Mother’s Day, especially since many of us were raised in part by our grandmothers. If you have kids (or nieces and nephews), don’t forget to acknowledge the important role of grandma that your mother, stepmom, or mother-in-law plays in the lives of their grandbabies. This Mother’s Day show the grandmothers in your life lots of love and appreciation, especially if you can’t be with them.
Mother’s Day message for mother-in-law
Happy Mother-in-law Day by Mr. Boddington’s Studio
Mothers in law are undoubtedly something special. It’s a unique relationship. You may be super tight with yours or just keep things friendly, but either way, a thoughtful Mother’s Day message from you will certainly go a long way.
Mother’s Day message for stepmom
Berry Lucky card by Hello!Lucky
Did you know 80% of divorced people get remarried? Stepmoms are important, often overlooked, figures. Don’t leave out the stepmoms in your life this year. Most of our Mother’s Day card messages can be easily tweaked for a stepmother—or, you may not need to tweak your ecard at all. Whether you call her a stepmom, bonus mom, or just plain mom, she’ll feel wonderful for being acknowledged by you with a stepmom Mothers Day card.
Mother’s Day card messages for a pet mom
Furbaby Crazy Cat and Furbaby Crazy Dog by Paperless Post
Moms come in all forms, and that includes those in your life who give a lot of time, care, and love to their fur babies. Go for a cute card that uses a bit of wordplay, or get creative and include a little note from the pet’s perspective (i.e. “Thanks, Mom! I would have written this by hand, but not having opposable thumbs can be a drag.”). If there’s one thing pet moms love, it’s everything their pets do.
Cute Mother’s Day cards
Tomato Loves Tomato by Mr. Boddington’s Studio
You have a phone reminder set so you won’t forget to call her, and your family’s Mother’s Day Zoom is scheduled, but why not send a cute Mother’s Day card too? It is a personal, thoughtful way to send love from afar. Online Happy Mother’s day cards are also easy (and safe) to send from the comfort of your own home. Paperless Post makes it easy to send all the moms in your life a cute surprise with a wide assortment of cute Mother’s Day greetings.
Mother’s Day in the UK
Formerly known as Mothering Sunday, this holiday in the UK began as a tradition for Christians to visit the churches they were baptized in, their “Mother Church”. Mother’s Day in the UK is always celebrated three weeks before Easter and on the fourth Sunday of Lent but never occurs on the same day. Gifting flowers and a delicious simnel cake, which is a fruity cake with layers of marzipan, is a huge Mothering Sunday tradition.
Mother’s day messages for Mum
Mother’s Day, whether in the US or UK, is always about honoring the mothers and motherly figures. When crafting the perfect Mother’s Day message to write to that special person, there are many ways to go about it. You can add a meaningful quote that symbolizes your relationship, a funny joke or pun between you, or a church/religious message—after all, Mothering Sunday came from a Christian holiday.
46. “Mum (n.): an angel in disguise. Happy Mother’s Day”
48. “Mum, you are tea-rrific!”
49. “I thank God everyday he gave me a Mum like you. The biggest blessing of my life has been sharing it with you.”
50. “I’m blessed to have a tea-rrific Nana like you. Happy Mothering Sunday.”
51. “To my amazing stepmum, two mums are better than one.”
52. “There’s no one else I’d rather wine to than you. Happy Mother’s Day”
53. “You are my best-tea. Happy Mum’s Day”
54. “I thank God that you are my Godmother. Thank you for your love, blessings, and support on this Mothering Sunday.”
55. “You’re not just a regular mum, you’re a super mum. Happy Mother’s Day”
What is a good Mother’s Day quote?
A Mother Is by The Indigo Bunting
Mothers have been written about and talked about since the beginning of time—because, well, moms are pretty great. Because they’re an inspiration for so many people, there are quite a lot of famous quotes about motherhood and a mother’s love. Use one of these quotes in a Mother’s Day poem that accompanies a bouquet of flowers or a bottle of wine, inside the cover of a novel, or on a ceramic tile.
56. “A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” —Oliver Wendell Holmes
57. “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
58. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
59. “Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary – it’s an act of infinite optimism.” —Gilda Radner
60. “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” —Cardinal Mermillod
61. “The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children.” —Elaine Heffner
62. “In the mother’s eyes, her smile, her stroking touch, the child reads the message: ‘You are there!’” —Adrienne Rich
Funny Mother’s Day quotes
Save the Receipt! by Paperless Post
Looking to borrow a little humor for your Happy Mother’s Day card? These funny Mother’s Day quotes from writers, actors, and other creative minds will likely get a knowing chuckle from any mom.
63. “Any mother could perform the jobs of several air-traffic controllers with ease.” —Lisa Alther
64. “A mother is a person who, seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” —Tenneva Jordan
65. “A mom forgives us all our faults, not to mention one or two we don’t even have.” —Robert Brault
66. “In the end, mothers are always right. No one else tells the truth.” —Randy Susan Meyers
67. “It’s not easy being a mother. If it were, fathers would do it.” —The Golden Girls
68. “I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then, I want to move in with them.” —Phyllis Diller
69. “If evolution really works, how come mothers have only two hands?” —Milton Berle
70. “Mom, I love you, even though I’ll never accept your friend request.” —Unknown
Short and sweet Mother’s Day quotes
Heart Cord by Paperless Post and Mom in Bloom by Paperless Post
Add to a Mother’s Day e-card, or to a short text, to let mom know you’re thinking of her. No matter how you use these quotes in your Mother’s day wishes, they’re sure to get you inspired.
71. “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there. ” —Robert Browning
73. “A mother is the truest friend we have…” ― Washington Irving
74. “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” —Princess Diana
75. “A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place.” —Amy Tan
76. “Mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled.” —Emily Dickinson
77. “The phrase ’working mother’ is redundant.” —Jane Sellman
78. Best mom ever.
79. “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” —Rudyard Kipling
80. “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
Send virtual Mother’s Day Cards
Tender Buttons Photo Card by Anthropologie and Messidor Photo by Putnam & Putnam
Everyone’s relationship with their mom looks different. Even if you and your mom don’t talk a lot, a message of appreciation is bound to go a long way toward making her feel good. If you’re still wondering what to say, we have your back. Personal messages are always encouraged, but Paperless Post has pre-formatted Mother’s Day e–cards with relatable messages you can include you can get you inspired on our blog with virtual Mother’s Day ideas. We have an e–card for you – whether you are a husband or a daughter-in-law or looking ahead for Father’s Day. Plus, our Mother’s Day greetings from our design partners are only available at Paperless Post!