80 sweet and sincere Mother’s Day card messages for every mom
Any day is a good day to tell your mom what she means to you, and Mother’s Day is an extra special time to acknowledge and appreciate the mother figures in your life.
You don’t need an excuse to recognize the mother figures in your life, but when Mother’s Day comes around, it’s the perfect time to celebrate how special they are. Whether you and your mama text constantly or only speak occasionally, sending an online Mother’s Day card is an ideal way to show how much you care.
Near or far, sweet or silly, there are plenty of Mother’s Day messages to choose from with Paperless Post’s selection of cards that are as special as she is. Sending a digital Mother’s Day card is a simple, affordable way to put a smile on her face. (We suggest picking up the phone or hopping on a video call, too.)
There are so many wonderful nurturers in our lives, from nannies, grandmas, aunties, stepmoms, dog moms, and sisters. Our diverse selection of Mother’s Day greeting cards lets you easily show love to all the impactful caregivers in your life, as well as the ones you see showing love for their own babies or fur babies. Whether you’re expressing your gratitude for your own mom, giving your mom friends kudos for being fabulous, or celebrating another special mother figure in your life, we’ve rounded up 80 mother’s day card messages that you can pair with any of our online cards to brighten her day.
Jump to section:
— What should you write on a Mother’s Day card?
— Simple Mother’s Day messages
— Funny Mother’s Day messages
— Mother’s Day messages for a new mom
— Mother’s Day messages for your wife
— Mother’s Day messages for Grandma
— Mother’s Day message for mothers-in-law
— Mother’s Day message for stepmoms
— Mother’s Day messages for aunts, sisters, friends, and daughters
— Mother’s Day card messages for a pet mom
— Cute Mother’s Day cards
— Messages for Mother’s Day in the UK
— What is a good Mother’s Day quote?
— Funny Mother’s Day quotes
What should you write on a Mother’s Day card?
The most important thing to keep in mind when writing a Mother’s Day card message is speaking from the heart. You don’t need to be a professional writer to craft a message that Mom will love—hearing your genuine words of appreciation is what matters most. Let your personality shine through with a humorous message or inside joke, or share a line or two about a special memory that you share together. Closings can be as simple or as personal as you. Feel free to sign off using a special nickname she has for you, or keep it straightforward and end your message with a classic “Happy Mother’s Day! I love you!” or “Love always, your [son/daughter/child].”
Simple Mother’s Day messages
Sending Hearts by Linda & Harriett and Root for Me by Hello!Lucky.
Sometimes, the best messages are simple and sweet. These virtual Mother’s Day card ideas are gracious, uplifting, and let Mom know she’s loved. If your mom is your biggest cheerleader, let her know how much you value her support. If she’s the role model in your life, thank her for all she’s taught you and for leading by example. Whether you opt for serious sentiments or more conversational cards, you can’t go wrong with sincere love and gratitude. Try these simple Mother’s Day card and message pairings:
1. The world is a better place with you in it. Message: I’m so proud to be your [son/daughter/child], today and every day.
2. The best mom in the world Message: Love always and forever, the luckiest [son/daughter/child]
3. I am who I am because of you Message: Every day you make my world brighter, Mom!
4. I’ll never stop learning from you Message: You’ve taught me everything I know and I’m forever grateful for your love and wisdom, Mom!
5. Sending you lots of love today and every day. Message: You deserve to be celebrated daily, Mom! There’s not a day that goes by where I’m not thankful that you’re my mother!
Funny Mother’s Day messages
Don’t Get Used To It by Paperless Post.
If your mom loves to laugh, she’ll appreciate a humorous message on Mother’s Day. We also think funny Mother’s Day cards are perfect for your friends who are in the motherhood club. You and your friends look to each other for support, including being there for each other as moms. Every mom deserves a little laugh and a virtual high-five for being amazing and making things work. Funny Mother’s day cards can come in the form of wordplay or puns, sarcasm, or a little wink and a clink of wine glasses.
6. Mom, you’re so fierce! Message: Thanks for being the grrrreatest mom a [son/daughter/child] could ever ask for.
7. I’ll admit it, you were right. Message: I know it seems impossible to believe, but I don’t know everything (don’t tell anyone)! You deserve the credit for teaching me about life, letting me learn from my mistakes, and always being my best friend. Happy Mother’s Day!
8. Thanks for the genes! Message: We go great together. Being your [son/daughter/child] never goes out of style!
9. Mom, you kick ass! Message: No one slays like you do, Mom! Thanks for always being my partner in crime!
10. Mom, you always deliver! Message: You’ll always have a pizza my heart, mom.
11. Sorry it’s just a card-again. Message: Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who always has me in stitches.
12. Save the receipt. Message: No one said it would be easy! Here’s to the greatest mom around, always going the extra mile to make me smile. Happy Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day messages for a new mom
The Fanny Pack by Paperless Post.
New motherhood comes with a flood of emotions while figuring things out, but it’s also an entry into the ultimate club. Give a nod to the new moms in your life and let her know you’re here to show your support. And don’t forget the moms-to-be. Let them know that you can’t wait for them to join the team and that you think they’ll make a fantastic mother. Avoid critiquing her parenting style or telling her that she’s got a hard road ahead—simply focus on letting her know that she’s doing a great job. Go ahead and send a Happy Mother’s Day message to a friend—these card ideas are the perfect way to show any newcomer that you’re seriously impressed with their mom skills.
13. You’re crushing it. Message: Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who makes it look easy, even though we know it’s not!
14. Welcome to the pack. Message: Don’t forget how essential you are! Happy first Mother’s Day to an amazing mama!
15. You are an awesome mom. Message: In case you haven’t heard it lately, you’re doing a great job!
16. Time for another feeding. Message: Bottles are for moms too! Cheers to your first Mother’s Day!
17. Part of the pack. Message: Welcome to the club, mama! You’re in for a wild ride and the sisterhood has your back!
Mother’s Day messages for your wife
Mama Leopard by Hello!Lucky.
You know your partner or children’s mother is the queen, so why not use this day as a time to remind her? Whether she’s a stepmom, new mom, or just a really great mom, let your wife know how much she inspires and impresses you by being the mother figure she is. Avoid suggestive or romantic messages and make it all about her role as a great mom. A sweet card and a thoughtful Mother’s Day message for your wife go a long way in celebrating her role as Best Mom Ever.
18. To the most wonderful mother. Message: You never fail to amaze me with how great you are at being a mom. Watching your love grow as a mom is a true gift.
19. Thank you for whipping me into shape. Message: Thank you for all that you do for our family circus. I’d be lion if I said you weren’t the world’s best parent!
20. You inspire me. Message: No one does a better job nurturing our cub[s] than you do. Happy Mother’s Day to the most amazing mom I know!
21. Happy Mother’s Day to the queen bee! Message: There’s no one who does it quite like you do! I’m in awe of what an incredible mom you are and you deserve to be celebrated today and every day.
22. Gorgeous, beautiful, fabulous. Message: Words can’t even begin to describe how wonderful you are as a mom and a wife.
23. You’re the best! Message: It’s no contest—you’ll always be Parent of the Year in our house. Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who takes first place in our hearts.
Mother’s Day messages for Grandma
Basket of Blooms by Emily Isabella for Red Cap Cards.
Before there was your mother, there was your grandmother. The role of a grandma is extraordinary and not to be left out on Mother’s Day, a day when nurturing women of all kinds deserve a special celebration. Let her know how lucky you feel to have her as your grandmother with a heartfelt card and message pairing. No matter what you call her, you can personalize any card with the message you write so your Nana, Grammy, Kiki, or Baba knows she’s one-of-a-kind.
24. Flowers for Grandma. Message: To my Grandma on Mother’s Day, you’re an inspiration today and every day.
25. Nana, thinking of you always. Message: I don’t need a holiday to tell you that you’re the greatest Grandma in the world, but since it’s Mother’s Day I thought I’d let you know how much you mean to me.
26. The only thing better than having you as a mom is my kids having you as their grandmother. Message: To the woman who inspires my kids every day and taught me everything I know about being a mom, Happy Mother’s Day!
27. Granny, thinking of you always. Message: There’s not a day that goes by where I don’t smile at the memories we have together. Thank you for being the most fabulous grandma a [grandson/granddaughter] could ever ask for!
28. I love you to the moon and back. Message: Happy (Grand)Mother’s Day to the best grandma in the galaxy!
Mother’s Day message for mother-in-law
Happy Mother-in-law Day by Mr. Boddington’s Studio.
Your unique relationship with your mother-in-law is undoubtedly something special. Whether you’re super tight or just keep things friendly, a Mother’s Day card with a thoughtful message written from the heart goes a long way in celebrating what she means to you. You can personalize any Mother’s Day card for your mother-in-law, or you can send her a card designed especially for her important role.
29. Thank you for being my chosen family. Message: You raised a real gem! Thank you for all that you do for our family!
30. Happy Mother-In-Law’s Day. Message: To the woman who does it all, have a wonderful day celebrating your role as the best mother-in-law ever! I’m so lucky to have you in my life!
31. You make me feel so popular. Message: Here’s to the woman who’s always ready with the best advice, recipes, wisdom, and laughs! Happy Mother’s Day from one gal to another!
32. Breakfast in bed. Message: If there’s one thing we can always agree on, it’s that any day is a good day for pampering! Happy Mother-In-Law’s Day to a lady who deserves to be spoiled!
33. One in a million. Message: I hit the jackpot when you became my mother-in-law! Happy Mother’s Day to the sparkliest star in the sky!
34. The woman who always knows best. Message: To the best mother-in-law a person could ever ask for, thank you for sharing your love, cooking, wisdom, and awesomeness today and every day!
Mother’s Day messages for stepmom
Berry Lucky card by Hello!Lucky
Stepmoms are a special kind of mom, and they deserve just as much fanfare and celebration on Mother’s Day as any other maternal figure. Show your stepmom how much you appreciate having her in your life with a sweet card and kind message that comes straight from the heart. Most of our Mother’s Day cards can be easily tweaked for a stepmother, or choose one made especially with her in mind. Whether you call her a stepmom, bonus mom, or just plain mom, she’ll feel wonderful for being acknowledged by you with a stepmom Mothers Day card.
35. Sweetest stepmom ever. Message: I’m berry lucky to have you in my life! Happy Mother’s Day to the woman who inspires me every day.
36. Best stepmom ever. Message: Cheers to a special lady on a special day! Having you in my life is something to celebrate today and always!
37. I feel lucky to have you in my life. Message: Our relationship continues to grow in a beautiful way. Happy Mother’s Day to the best stepmom I could ever ask for!
38. Love you more than ever. Message: Every day brings us closer together and today we celebrate YOU! Thank you for all that you do!
39. With hugs and kisses. Message: Like a fine wine, our memories together just keep getting better! Cheers to my awesome stepmom on this special day!
Mother’s Day messages for aunts, sisters, friends, and daughters
Mother’s Day isn’t just about celebrating the people who give birth to you. There are all kinds of maternal figures in the world and those special people deserve recognition, too. Whether you’re thanking your favorite aunt for always being there or you’re sending a virtual “cheers!” to your sister or friend who you think is doing a great job as a mom, there are kind ways to wish them well with these thoughtful cards and messages.
40. Treat yourself. Message: To my darling daughter, if anyone deserves a little extra TLC, it’s you! You’re a fantastic mom and today is your day to shine. Happy Mother’s Day, I’m so proud of you!
41. Relax. Message: Go ahead, take a break—you’ve earned it, Sister! I’m constantly amazed at what a fabulous mom you are!
42. Framed photo. Message: I love the special memories we’ve created together, Auntie! You’ve always been like a mom to me, so today (and everyday) I wanted to let you know how much I love and appreciate you!
43. Fox hug. Message: You’re one foxy mama! FYI, I think you’re crushing this motherhood thing!
44. Chill & refill. Message: Way to slay, today and every day! No one does momming quite like you—let’s raise a glass to the finest mom (and friend) I know!
Mother’s Day card messages for a pet mom
Furbaby Crazy Cat and Furbaby Crazy Dog by Paperless Post.
Moms come in all forms, and that includes those in your life who give a lot of time, care, and love to their fur babies. Go for a cute card that uses a bit of wordplay, or get creative and include a little note from the pet’s perspective (i.e. “Thanks, Mom! I would have written this by hand, but not having opposable thumbs can be a drag.”). If there’s one thing pet moms love, it’s everything their pets do.
45. You’re purrfect. Message: Happy Mother’s Day to the most pawsome caregiver out there!
46. From your favorite child who doesn’t talk back. Message: This Mother’s Day, I’m unleashing my love for you! Wags & slobbers always!
47. Cat mom. Message: Meow I know what true happiness is! Thank you for being the kindest mama to this grateful kitten!
48. Dog mom. Message: Make no bones about it, you’re the best mom in the world! Thanks for all the treats, belly scratches, and walks a dog could ever want!
49. Cat cuddles. Message: From one cool cat to another, I think you’re purrrfect! Happy Mother’s Day!
Cute Mother’s Day cards
Tomato Loves Tomato by Mr. Boddington’s Studio.
You have a phone reminder set so you won’t forget to call her, and your family’s Mother’s Day Zoom is scheduled, but why not send a cute Mother’s Day card too? It’s a personal, thoughtful way to send love, whether you’re near or far. A cute card works just as well for Mom as it does for any other maternal figure you know, whether you’re giving your nanny a shout-out or letting your sister know that she’s doing a stellar job raising your nieces and nephews. These are some of our favorite Mother’s Day card and message combos:
50. Nanny, I love you from my head tomatoes. Message: No one knows kids and kindness better than you do! We’d be lost without you and we’re so lucky to have you in our lives!
51. Mom, you’re solid GOLD. Message: I hit the jackpot having you as my mom! You always make me feel like a million bucks and my life is richer with you in it. I love you, Mom!
52. Mom, you’re the spice of life. Message: With a dash of kindness, a pinch of wisdom, and a heaping measure of heart, you’ve got the greatest recipe for motherhood! You’re simply the best!
53. So glad I didn’t fall far. Message: Mom, you’re the apple of my eye! I wanted to thank you for all you’ve done to love and nurture me while I wish you a very happy Mother’s Day!
54. Mom, thanks for always rooting for me! Message: Our bond can’t be beet! You’re the greatest mom anyone could ever want and today’s the day to celebrate YOU!
Messages for Mother’s Day in the UK
Mother’s Day in the UK is always celebrated three weeks before Easter and on the fourth Sunday of Lent but never occurs on the same day. Gifting flowers and a delicious simnel cake, which is a fruity cake with layers of marzipan, is a huge Mothering Sunday tradition. When crafting the perfect Mother’s Day message to write to the special motherly figure in your life, there are many ways to go about it. Try a card that’s as sweet as she is, combined with a loving message that shows how much you care about your mum, using these ideas as inspiration:
55. Mom, treat yourself to something sweet today. Message: No one deserves to be pampered more than you do! Whether it’s Mother’s Day or any day, you’re the greatest mum around!
56. Thank you for always being there. Message: You deserve the royal treatment every day, Mum! Today is all about celebrating you being the Queen that you are! Happy Mother’s Day!
57. Mom, Mother, Mama, Mommy, Mum. Message: No matter how you say it, you’ve got the top spot in my heart. Cheers to the #1 mum on a very special Mother’s Day!
58. Together Apart. Message: Mum, you’re my cuppa tea! I can’t wait until we can celebrate how fabulous you are in person. Miss you!
What is a good Mother’s Day quote?
A Mother Is by The Indigo Bunting.
Mothers have been written about and talked about since the beginning of time—because, well, moms are pretty great. Because they’re an inspiration for so many people, it’s not surprising that there are so many great quotes about motherhood and a mother’s love. Use one of these quotes in a Mother’s Day card message that accompanies a bouquet of flowers or a bottle of wine, inside the cover of a novel, or on a ceramic tile.
59. “A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.” —Oliver Wendell Holmes
60. “There is no role in life that is more essential than that of motherhood.” —Elder M. Russell Ballard
61. “To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power.” —Maya Angelou
62. “Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary – it’s an act of infinite optimism.” —Gilda Radner
63. “A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.” —Cardinal Mermillod
64. “The art of mothering is to teach the art of living to children.” —Elaine Heffner
65. “In the mother’s eyes, her smile, her stroking touch, the child reads the message: ‘You are there!’” —Adrienne Rich
66. “A mother is the truest friend we have…” ― Washington Irving
67. “A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.” —Princess Diana
68. “God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.” —Rudyard Kipling
69. “When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.” —Charley Benetto
Funny Mother’s Day quotes
Save the Receipt! by Paperless Post.
Looking to borrow a little humor for your Happy Mother’s Day card? These funny Mother’s Day quotes from writers, actors, and other creative minds will likely get a knowing chuckle from any mom.
70. “Any mother could perform the jobs of several air-traffic controllers with ease.” —Lisa Alther
71. “A mom forgives us all our faults, not to mention one or two we don’t even have.” —Robert Brault
72. “In the end, mothers are always right. No one else tells the truth.” —Randy Susan Meyers
73. “It’s not easy being a mother. If it were, fathers would do it.” —The Golden Girls
74. “I want my children to have all the things I couldn’t afford. Then, I want to move in with them.” —Phyllis Diller
75. “If evolution really works, how come mothers have only two hands?” —Milton Berle
76. “When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they’re finished, I climb out.” — Erma Bombeck
77. “Life doesn’t come with a manual. It comes with a mother.” —Unknown
78. “If at first you don’t succeed, try doing it the way Mom told you to in the beginning.” —Unknown
79. “My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.” —Mark Twain
80. “Children are a great comfort in your old age—and they help you reach it faster, too.” —Lionel Kauffman
Send Mother’s Day cards online
Everyone’s relationship with their mom looks different. Even if you and your mom don’t talk a lot, a message of appreciation is bound to go a long way toward making her feel good. If you’re still wondering what to say, we have your back. Personal messages are always encouraged, but Paperless Post has pre-formatted online Mother’s Day cards with relatable messages. Include your own words for a meaningful way to show your love. For more inspiration on making her day special, our ideas on what moms want for Mother’s Day will get you started.
When it comes to when you should send a Mother’s Day card, you can easily send Paperless Post online cards the day of. Or, you can schedule your Mother’s Day cards ahead of time to ensure you don’t forget when the day arrives (your future self will thank you).